Thursday, August 20, 2009

Good Fail, Me

So, after completing The Last Unicorn, I attempted to read both A Northern Light & Atonement.

I failed.

I just couldn't get into Jennifer's book. I didn't like the way it was written; the switching back and forth was confusing, and the tone -- I just didn't like it. I feel like a failure with that one, because my friend Sarah really recommended it. As for Atonement, I didn't get to finish because it was due back at the library, and I felt incredibly ridiculous asking to check it out for the third time. It's all right, though, because I have it saved on my iPod Touch. I love WattPad. *smile*

Getting slightly off topic -- I really do lust my iPod. I downloaded the Kindle Application, and I just couldn't be anymore excited. It's awesome downloading and reading books from my iPod. Especially considering I'm not allowed to read at work and if I get caught I'll get fired and that's not good. It's a lot easier to hide an iPod.

I downloaded several eReaders like the Kindle and WattPad. More books are going to be added to my list ((I'm also going to coordinate my list a bit more to really highlight my failures, lol)). It's really cool because each eReader application gave me a few free books -- most of the classics, and most of them are doubles, but sometimes I get lucky and receive a free one. I'm stoked to really get into it.

Right, so, after taking by the library books, I went to see The Time Traveler's Wife ((this was my first solo movie adventure, which my BFF has been raving about forever; I love it. Every movie that I just *have* to see, I'm going it alone)). It was pretty amazing. Definitely not better than the book -- not by any means. Actually, a lot of stuff was left out, and a few pivotal scenes were changed but I still think they did a great job with the kind of novel they had to work with. Even now, after I've already seen the movie, I get giddy whenever I see a preview for it. Probably because I loved the book so much.

In the previews they showed a trailer for The Lovely Bones; my friend Alex said to "stop whatever I'm reading and read it now." Since I had recently returned Atonement, I thought it would be a good time to pick up The Lovely Bones, which my mother had and has never read, lol.

So, that's three books -- in one month -- that have defeated me. I got four chapters into Sebold's novel and gave up. I've never come across a book that has given me a headache while reading. I just couldn't stand it any longer. Again, it was the style of the writing, and the tone, and the fact that I had to read a simple sentence several times to understand what was going on. Maybe I'm mildly retarded, but I shelved it. No thanks.

Now, I'm reading Confessions with a Shopaholic. Good ole Ms. Kinsella won't let me down. I need to add the rest of the series to my list....

I think I'll read I'll Scream Later by Marlee Matlin next, and I've added the following to my booklist::

Butterfly Tattoo by Deidre Knight
My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands by Chelsea Handler
Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Granger ((if this is anything like P&P&Zombies, then I'll adore it))

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Looking forward to your review of Mr. Darcy, Vampyre. I am trying to decide whether to read that or "Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters" as part of my own 50 book a year challenge!

Cheers, Jessica
http://desperadopenguin.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, The Time Traveller's Wife is fantastic. Yum. Except, I've heard a very apt review that it's full of sex and coffee, which, on reflection, is not far off the truth!

And Atonement is absolutely worth reading. Check out Ian McEwan's other books too!

Rosie of BooksAndBakes

Rachel Belle said...

Jessica,

Have you read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? I find it to be amazing!! I want to read Sense & Sensibility before I tackle Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters, lol. I can't wait to start Mr. Darcy, Vampyre. I'll be sure to let you know how I like it!


Rosie--

I loved The Time Traveler's Wife, although I didn't find it to have as much sex in it as people said. The movie certainly didn't. I'm going to give Atonement another go. ;)

I've added you, too to my blog list!

Followers