Friday, July 31, 2009

The Last Unicorn

I finished this novel two days ago. In all honesty, I wasn't anticipating that I'd enjoy it as much as I did. I've never been into fairies and unicorn, or magicians and evil Kings. Apparently I'm okay with vampires though, haha, which seems a little odd that I don't enjoy the rest.

At any rate, I think The Last Unicorn was a fantastic read; thanks to whoever recommended that for me.

I was a little worried when the back cover said it was "whimsical and sensuous," but it totally worked. The often time rhyme-y and odd speeches only added, in my opinion, to the story. That's probably only because for every whimsy detail there was a more modern flare to balance it out. In the middle of it all someone was called a dude, and I loved it.

I loved Schmendrick, the Magician (who was teased mercilessly; "can't even turn butter into cream"). Molly Grue was probably my favorite. She was completely unrefined and unrepetent, but she had a good heart. Prince Lir broke my heart into a million pieces come the end, and The Unicorn...well, I'm not exactly sure what to say about her. Beautiful. Immortal. Oddly detached. I think she had the most brillant character arch I've come across yet.

The Last Unicorn is a short read -- only 215 pages. Sad story that it took me so long to read it, but I enjoyed every minute of it and would definitely recommend it for your enjoyment as well.


Next I'm reading A Northen Light by Jennifer Donnelly.

No comments:

Followers