Thursday, March 5, 2009

Blaaaah Emma

I'm having some serious difficulties with reading Emma. It's just not as a great as Pride and Prejudice, which is definitely my favorite. I'm a little worried about reading Mansfield Park, which I need to start in a week.

Obviously, P&P has been a long-running favorite for many Austen fans, but I was expecting a little bit more from her other books. I suppose it's because Emma was written before P&P, and there are styles and themes she definitely changed for future works. But I get hung up easily on...what I want to call errors. 'I don't like when dialogue is placed inside of apostrophe's instead of quotations. It's annoying, especially when one decides to "quote a person within the dialogue, so Austen decides to finally use the quotations correctly." It gets on my ever-living nerves.'

I mean, there are certain aspects of Emma that are enjoyable. I love picking out the bits to the book that were transferred over to the film "Clueless". But other than that...it's kind of boring.

Gah, I have a couple weeks yet to finish it. I feel like I've been reading it for years. I just want to be done already.

No comments:

Followers