Sunday, May 10, 2009

Love in the Time of Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies

So, Love in the Time of Cholera ... definitely not my favorite. It's not horrible, but it doesn't make me want to curl up in bed and just read for hours either. Again, it has a lot to do with the fact that I just can't get into the style of it. Marquez doesn't number his chapters, and that just annoys the hell out of me, lol. I know that's totally weird, but I like to know my progress, thanks. And every "chapter" is a-little-more-a-little-less 50 pages. I don't know why but that annoys me, too.

Oh, and he's forever using the characters first and last names: Floretino Ariza, Fermina Daza, Dr. Juvenal Urbino, over and over and over again. Why can't you just say: So, then Florentino said, "I eat orchid petals because I want to know what your scent tastes like." Fermina replies, aghast, "you're crazy!" Dr. Urbino nods gravely: "As a doctor, I am qualified in such matters. You're a loon, son."

Whatever, though. It's gonna take me a little longer to read this book ((it's only 350 pages)), I'm thinking probably another week, but I'm determined. It's really not all that bad. Sometimes I do get really into it; he is a captivating writer, but sometimes it's the little things that bother me.

Character wise, Florentino is totally a nut job. I mean, if you eat flower petals and chug perfume just to know what a chick tastes like...that's weird, dude. And Fermina is a snob ((her rejection of Florentino does make me feel sorry for the chump, but he's still nuts)). The only character I enjoying - thus far - is Urbino. He has captured most of my sympathy, and he seems...the most sane.

Anyway, so, today is Mother's Day. While I was out picking up gifts, and flowers, and cake for Mama Bear, I picked up I'll Sceam Later by Marlee Matlin ((totally stoked)) while at Target. Then my sister and I meandered over to Borders, and I found the book I have to read next. No doubt about it, once I've finished Love in the Time of Cholera, then I must read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It's exactly as the title states: it is Pride and Prejudice with a few zombies thrown in.

I'm pretty sure it's going to kick ass. I read the author bios on the back, and I about snorted ((okay, I did snort, a lot)):
JANE AUSTEN is the author of Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, Mansfield Park, and other masterpieces of English literature. SETH GRAHAME-SMITH once took a class in English literature.

So stoked. I'm not crazy obsessed with zombies or ninjas ((yeah, ninjas are in this book, too)) or anything, but c'mon. You have to admit that this is going to rock. I do love the Resident Evil Trilogy, but I don't own the Zombies Survival Guide or whatever ((my brother does)).

I'm sure I'll write extensively on this book's sheer awesomenss.

Good Day.

No comments:

Followers