Friday, May 1, 2009

Reason Number 1,029 Why I Love Nicholas Sparks

Aside from the fact that he's just amazing, he's a terrific author who just understands girls. I mean, in his novels it's glaringly apparent that he gets us. And nearly every book I've read by him, I've devoured in hours and enjoyed thoroughly.

With that said, I had no intention of reading Three Weeks with My Brother; I just don't do memoirs. But my co-worker, Sarah, said it oozed awesomeness and, truth be known, I'm was getting a little tired of the classics and period pieces. I needed something a little fresher. So, I started it yesterday, and I'm almost half-way finished with it.

It's truly an amazing book. He co-wrote this with his brother ((though, I think it's obvious that it's predominantly Nicholas's work)), and it's literally about the three weeks he spent with his brother traveling the world, interspersed with details of their lives growing up together. They had an interesting childhood, to say the least.

I think another reason I'm just *in love* with this book is because I can relate to certain aspects of what he's writing about. Not a lot mind you. I certainly haven't dealt with the kind of tragedy he has ((and I certainly wouldn't have such a good sense of humor about life now)), but the ones that I do are just startling; the whole middle child syndrome for instance - I get that.

It's heartwarming to read about the type of relationships he had with his brother, sister and parents ((even if I maintain that they needed to be taken away from said "parents)). I don't know what it's like to grow up with your sibling as a best friend. My brother and I certainly don't share that type of relationship, nor my sister and I for that matter. And the way those two boys ((Nicholas and Micah)) treat their sister is just...awww; I mean, those boys asked their sister to the prom. How freaking sweet is that? I want my kids to grow up like that - that close ((wait, I decided today I wasn't going to have any...wild children-customers have stauched any desire for me to procreate)).

*sigh* And reading this book ((reading in general, but I've noticed moreso with this book)) makes me want to write...soooooo bad. I can sit at my computer for hours and just pound away at the keys. I really want to do that again; I don't know why I'm not.

Anyway, I'm really excited about this book. I'm pretty exhausted after today, but I want to keep reading. I need to sleep...I don't know what I'll do.

Amazing - anyone who hasn't read this book needs to. Foooor sure.





***((Also, added The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd to my books list))

No comments:

Followers