Monday, October 19, 2009

Your Dreams Are Not Your Own









...says the tag-line on Lisa McMann's Wake.

I finished this book today, and it was absolutely amazing. I'm a bigger fan of YA fiction because of this book. McMann truly has a wonderful story on her hands, and I'm so glad my friend recommended this for me. I can't wait to read the second book ((I'm pretty sure this is a series))!

Her writing style took some getting used to. I didn't hate it, but it seemed kind of bland at first. The more I read, though, the more I got sucked into the story. The character was just so engaging. The plot -- to me -- refreshing. And the voice was so real. I loved it.

For those of you unfamiliar with this book, it follows Janie Hannagan. From the time she was eight-years-old, she's been helplessly sucked into the dreams of those in close proximity to her. The more nightmarish the dream, the more difficult it is to pull herself out. It reveals the frustrations and tribulations she faces for being so different.

Cabel, a supporting character, is a total win. I love him. I think you will, too.

I still have many questions, which I hope Lisa answers for me in Fade. I'm going to order my hardcover copy off of Amazon right now. Wake, too, though I can't find the hardcover version. *grumbles* Anyway, I just can't wait to have them in my bookshelf.

The Sign for Drowning is a little slower going, as it's harder to read. Wake was a breeze, and just so engaging -- and again -- on my iPod which I can hide easier than a book while at work. But I feel like I'm finally coming along quite nicely.

In random, other news, I found out today I was named Honorable Mention in the 78th Annual Writer's Digest Writing Competition. Genre was Short Story. *smile* Pretty stoked.

Happy reading, everyone!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Congratulations on the Short Story! That is amazing! Is there someplace I can read it?

Amy J said...

I want to read your story too! LOL

I loved Wake! Fade is good too. Of course Gone comes out soon too and I am so excited to see how it is! Don't you just want to find a Cabe of your own?

Followers