Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Outsiders, Plugging & Awards


I appreciate the fact that no one warned me that The Outsiders would be a sad read. Not my sister, not my mother -- both of whom raved about what an excellent book it is, and it's true. It was wonderful; I enjoyed every minute of it. But a little forewarning would have been nice. Yeesh.

Inbetween work and babysitting a seven-year-old and a four-year-old I somehow found time to finish it. It was so difficult to put down. The tone was so real. It was easy to imagine that was how a fourteen-year-old would think. The characters were wonderful. Hinton did a really good job developing her characters. I loved how every individual of the Greasers were integral to their group. It's said a lot in novels and in real-life: how important a person is to a clique. But this was real. Everything about it was very, very believeable. I loved it.


To me, the narrator, Ponyboy, seemed so wise beyond his years. He knew he was leading a life he didn't want to live -- though he accepted it as the cards fate dealt him. He knew the things they were doing were wrong, but the sad bit of it is that he felt powerless to stop it. Until later, of course, when their group begins to dwindle.


The relationships between the characters ((not just as a group but as brothers)) was enjoyable. It was fun and sarcastic and playful and so -- as I've mentioned -- real...at times. One thing I found a bit awkward, and maybe it's because I'm not close with my own siblings, was the cuddling between Ponyboy and Soda. And the back rubs. It was odd for me. But not difficult to overlook. Every other aspect of their relationship I loved.


I can't believe I didn't read this book until now! Okay, maybe I can. I probably wouldn't have appreciated it as an 8th grader as I do now. I'm glad I waited ages.


Definitely an awesome read. It was printed in the late sixties, and while most of the time it was obvious what era it represented, I still felt that it could have transcended time a bit. At certain points it felt more modern. I love that. If you haven't read it, you should. That's all I'm saying.

With that said, I'm going to start focusing on Jane Eyre again. I've missed reading it -- sooo good. Wow.

First, though, I'd like you all to go in this direction. There is a pretty sweet, epic giveaway going down at BookMac that you should all get involved in if you're interested. ((Thanks Parajunkee for posting it in your blog this morning!!)) Loads of stuff being given away. Check it out.

And thanks again to Amy for another award. (: I appreciate it, tons! And I promise that I'm going to pass them along, too. Tomorrow, for sure, as it's my day off. Thanks again!!


...And that's all in my neck of the woods.




Good night!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I read this in 7th grade for school but I don't remember much about it. I really need to go back and read it one of these days too!

Anonymous said...

You need to watch the movie now so you can compare it with the book. I have fun doing that sometimes. :)

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

I have never read this either. Sometimes I am in awe of the great books out there that I have yet to read! This sounds wonderful and I know that I need to read this.

Followers