Thursday, September 3, 2009

Randomness, if you please

My creative writing teacher has contributed to my dislike for 1st Person narratives. Figures our first writing assignment would be a story written in -- yes -- 1st Person.

She liked it though, as did my classmates, so that's exciting! Maybe I'll be a novelist one day after all. *wink*

I finally got The Outsiders today. It's such a thin book! I'll have it finished in no time ((I hope)). I've started reading it a little before I got distracted, and I've enjoyed it so far. The tone is very much that for a fourteen-year-old boy. Very convincing; I appreciate that.

I got another award ((displaying proudly on the left-side column))!! That was sweet! So thank you to Parajunkee, and I promise to pass it around soon!

Finally, I'd like to plug another blog and giveaway. Revenge of the Book Nerds! is having a Austen-themed giveaway. I'm pretty stoked about it. Check it out, for sure!

Now, I have reading and writing to accomplish.

Good evening!

3 comments:

April (BooksandWine) said...

Can't wait to read your review of the Outsiders I hope you enjoy it.

Also, glad people enjoyed your writing :-

And in answer to your question on my blog, I am learning how to be a wine connessiour, (that's spelled wrong), I've only been legal to drink for a year. :-)

Anonymous said...

I think I read The Outsiders but I can't remember much about it though I think it was really different from the movie.

Misty said...

The Outsiders was one of my favorite books as a teen. We read it in 8th grade, and I finished it the first night (which I think irritated my teacher, but she was a bitch, so whatever), and so I would have something to do while the class finished it up, she had me check out another Hinton book; I ended up flying through everything she'd written by the time the class was done. This and Tex are still my favorites.

And I think it's good to shake it up w/ 1st person every now and then. As a reader, it can be more effective in certain stories to be in the characters mind, and as a writer, it forces you to look at things from a different perspective, and learn how to filter things through someone, rather than being omniscient. Also, it allows you to use unreliable narrators, which can be fun.

Followers